Friday, September 28, 2007

An Explanation

Erin from Design for Mankind asked where I came up with the name May December Home. I guess I've never explained that to you....

Choosing a name for a business can be really hard. You want something that will be memorable, different, interesting. The business advisors tell you it should give an idea of what your business is about, while still being all of the above.

I had a list, some of which made my husband wrinkle up his nose, some of which might have worked.

I knew that I wanted to have a blog tied to my shop, so an internet search wiped out most of the main contenders - they were already taken.

Using my address was out - it's just not that interesting. But then I started thinking, instead of explaining what I do (still can't quite find the words for that) or where I am, how about when I'm open?


How Do You Classify This?

The little village I'm in gets really quiet in the wintertime, so I knew I would only be open during the busier months, like, from Victoria Day in May to just before Christmas in December..... hello!

Another internet search turned up a few May/Decembers, so I added Home and I had found my name.

I like that it refers to age and romance. Something not quite conventional.

So, how about you? How did you come up with the names of your blogs/businesses?


May December Home - Something Old, Something New

1 comment:

/// said...

OH YAY! I'm so glad I know now!!!