Friday, December 14, 2007

Thoughts on Redecorating - Part 3

The apartment we've been working on is blessed with a nice, big kitchen with lots of light. At first glance, there's not a lot of storage - just one bank of cabinets. But it also has a walk-in pantry. Whoo!

So the work there was pretty easy. We freshened the paint and cleaned it. The floor, though very dirty, was in good shape. No need to replace it. And I don't think I would ever get rid of original wooden cabinets in a kitchen. They just don't make them like that anymore.

The other thing we could have replaced but didn't was the hall carpet. It's dark green, in a hallway that has no windows. In Barb's Book of Decorating Rules, that is Clearly Wrong.

But I took a step back and looked at it objectively. I have very definite ideas about carpet that I realize are purely personal. And since we're not going to be living there, the carpet stayed. My colour choices for the paint were based on that.

So now the place is clean, fresh and ready for the new tenants who, hopefully, will stay there a good long time, not flush anything they shouldn't and clean up after themselves!

No comments: