Monday, March 10, 2008

New Bloggers Series Redux - Using Photos From Flickr

One of the questions that came up during the New Bloggers series was - is it OK to use photos from Flickr?

I researched it as best I could, but wasn't able to find a satisfactory answer.  Then I found this article on Skelliewag that sets it all out perfectly.

Basically, what it says is that you should be looking for photos listed under the Creative Commons agreement in the  "Attribution" category. 

If you find a photo that is copywrited, you need written permission to use it.  Under the Creative Commons agreement, you are allowed to use photos without written permission, as long as you credit the photographer and give a link back to the source.  In this case, their Flickr page.

There are six separate categories under the Creative Commons agreement, so you'll want to read the whole article.  She also tells you how to find photos that are offered in those categories.

Hope this helps all of you looking for images!

 

5 comments:

Carrie Nicole said...

Thanks for this post Barb. Ironically enough, I had just gotten done creating a post using pictures from a flickr contact and I never am sure what the rules are and the blog/pic etiquette. I have emailed for permission like a good blogger girl. :)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I've been wondering and trying to figure out this myself! Thanks for giving me the answer :-)

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

I'm so glad this post helped.

Check out Skelliewag.org - it's a goldmine of great information!

Tara said...

Barb

Thanks for this message! I'll be reading!

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

Great!