Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Charity Tuesday - Water is Life

Water is Life

ccarlstead

Before I went to Africa, the people at the travel health clinic told me not to drink the water there, not even to use it to brush my teeth.  Even in the big cities, the infrastructure doesn't exist to ensure clean, safe drinking water.

So every morning, I would order a couple of litre bottles from my server at the hotel and carry them with me through the day.  But that was because I was lucky enough to be able to afford to buy bottled water.  Most of the people there can't do that.

Water Is Life is working to solve that problem by giving portable, personal water filters to children in Africa so that they can drink the water they need without worrying about the water-borne diseases and parasites that kill 5000 children under the age of 5 every single day.

It's an elegant solution that solves a huge problem.

 

No comments: