Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Flowers Make Everything Better


More outdoor re-uses today.

We live in an interesting spot. It's a small village, surrounded by farms, but the property our building is on is actually quite urban. By that, I mean it's surrounded by concrete with very little "garden" space. So if I want to grow flowers (and I do), I need to be creative about finding things to put them in.

The two planters at the front of the building are actually the bowls from an 80-quart mixer that my husband bought but didn't use. We needed something to put the plants in and they were available.

Normally, when planting up a container, you need to put in drainage holes. Otherwise the roots could rot. In this case, the metal was just too sturdy, so we filled the bottom with a supply of bricks I found on the property and then topped that with the potting soil. It's not a perfect solution, but it's worked so far.

No comments: