Friday, September 14, 2007

Book Review: Decorating JunkMarket Style

After updating my link list and finally getting the Alibris stuff set up, I needed a bit of a break....

But now I'm back, with my first book-review!

The Alibris thing is a way to make a little more money through this site, which can send up red flags to readers, I know.

So, in the effort to be Honest and Above-Board in all my dealings with my readers, I'll make this promise: I'll only offer for sale books that I'm really familiar with and believe to be truly helpful. So that would be either books I own myself, or books that I've taken out of the library so many times that the librarian is starting to roll her eyes and mutter "why dontcha just buy a copy?"


Decorating JunkMarket Style is one of my favourite Junk Decorating books, ever. Sue Whitney and Ki Nassauer have an incredible eye for rusty old crap and are fearless about going after it.

The book is divided into style categories for every taste - Traditional, Modern, Cottage. The projects range from simple repurposes, like: use an old metal ice-cube tray as a handy desk-top organizer, to more complicated things like the table leg coatrack.

There are full-colour photos on every page, step-by-step instructions for many projects, handy junking tips and enough inspiration to make you look at the stuff in your basement in a whole new way!

I've used a few of the ideas in my own house and will show you pictures in the next few days.

If you'd like to buy this book, click on the handy icon in the right-hand margin.


If all you see is the heading: Buy This Book, you have the same problem that I do. Your security settings are up too high. If you're running Norton security software, it may need to be temporarily disabled to be able to use the link.

This was why I had so much trouble loading this onto my site. Can anyone tell me what the use is of a program that then requires you to take ten extra steps to do anything on the internet? I want to be protected from viruses. I don't really want to be protected from shopping! My bank statement offers me enough protection from that!

4 comments:

Sondra said...

Yes! This is a GREAT book. I have it and continue to create fabulous home furnishings out of junk. I can't wait to get their new book now!

Sondra said...

Yes! This is a GREAT book. I have it and continue to create fabulous home furnishings out of junk. I can't wait to get their new book now!

Janet said...

Barb,
In the new Country Home Magazine they made a really cool wreath from a bicycle wheel. Great issue of the magazine ( do you get the magazine in Canada?

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

Sondra, thanks for the endorsement, glad you agree!

JB, we do get Country Home here - it's one of my faves. I'll look for the new issue - gotta see the bicycle wreath!

Thanks for commenting!