Sunday, October 14, 2007

Decorating With Found Objects - Part 5

Just a few last pictures and then a little homily (it's Sunday, after all...).

You see this idea everywhere. But it really does make washing the dishes a little more pleasant.

And more twigs. The first one is from a few years ago, when we were living with my mother. It was a really hot day and I was trying to catch a breeze. Normally we didn't tie up the curtains!




And a hook on the back of the bedroom door. It's sturdy enough to hold up my painting coveralls!



And now for the little homily.

I hesitated a little before doing this series. I don't want to add to anyone's clutter. I've had my own troubles with clutter in the past.

So saying "Hey! Save up your old bottles and containers and, oh, spare twigs you find on your daily walks," may seem, at first glance, a bit irresponsible, a bit adding to the problem, instead of solving it.

But here's how I make use of old packaging and stray twigs. I decide I need something first. As in: I need a hook for the back of the door. What can I find that will do? Rather than: I might need this someday, for something, so I'll tuck it away here, just in case.

Let me assure you, my method works well on two fronts. It keeps my house clutter-free (or relatively so - I still need to do regular clear-outs). And when I decide I need something, it really takes me almost no time at all to find the thing that will do.

So there you have it. Funky and vintage do not have to equal cluttered.

No comments: