Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tumbleweed Tiny Houses

I first came across the work of Jay Schafer and the tiny houses he builds in an issue of Natural Home magazine.  He's truly amazing.  He lives well in 89 square feet.  No, that's not a typo, I really meant eighty-nine.  Take a look.

I haven't actually measured our new apartment yet, but I'm guessing it's around a thousand square feet.  I don't really need to squeeze all the use I can out of every inch of it, but I really like Jay's philosophy of having no wasted space. 

One huge waste is what he calls the transition spaces, like hallways and staircases.

We have a hallway running straight through the middle of our apartment.  And, no, I'm not going to be breaking out the sledgehammer any time soon.  There are easier ways to deal with this sort of thing.  I'll tell you my thoughts on that tomorrow.

In the meantime, head on over to Jay's site and see if you can't find some inspiration to live a little bigger in the space you have now.

No comments: