Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Stuff Folks Leave Behind

Imagine it covered with vines...

Some of my favourite pieces are things that I've found discarded by previous inhabitants of the houses we've lived in.

I'm usually excited to find these treasures.

The merits of this piece were not so immediately apparent.

For one thing, our bad tenants bought this instead of paying the rent.  For another, we found it lying in pieces in our backyard.  We stacked the pieces neatly and waited for an opportunity to cart it off to auction.

At the same time, Alan was talking about wanting something to mark the entrance to our very open backyard.  A gate or trellis was what we were thinking.

I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to realize.

We put it together.  Moved it into position and planted two Silver Lace vines at its base.  Silver Lace is a rampant invader also known as Mile-a-Minute.  Since we've planted it well away from the trees, I'll be able to keep it under control.  And within a few months, we'll have a very pretty and, need I say, unique gateway to our back garden.

They call it Mile-A-Minute for a reason...

The other person's trash - it's all in how you look at it.

No comments: