Thursday, September 6, 2007

My Ikea Challenge

Alan came home from running errands today and dropped this into my waiting arms:


Many happy hours later, I'm telling myself to stay calm.

We have some big projects planned for the coming winter and if I'm not careful, I'll be closing early tomorrow and heading on over there.

Or ordering online. Did you know they deliver?!!!!

But here's the thing. As a second-hand store owner, I feel honour-bound to at least try to furnish my own home with second-hand stuff. I mean, who wants to be a hypocrite? Not me!

So here's the challenge I'm posing to myself. I'm going to try to get through the living room/dining room/bedroom renovations with as few Ikea interventions as possible.

I know that leaves a ridiculous amount of wiggle room. But I'm already planning to buy a bunch of wardrobes with mirrored doors for the living room. This is because we need the storage, the mirrors will reflect the light from the patio doors beautifully and our construction skills? So not up to the challenge.

But for all the other furniture and storage options, I have to at least try to go vintage.

I've done it before. I use the catalogue as inspiration and see what I can substitute. So this:



Becomes this:



And this:



Becomes this:


It works really well for me and I plan, nay, vow to continue.

And for every other piece I buy new, you all get to point and laugh!

1 comment:

Brilliant Asylum said...

Sounds like fun. Good luck with your projects.